My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 28, 2007

HISTORY: My Grandparents



I am trying to clean off my poor, overloaded-with-Christmas-pictures computer and free up some space. I ran across some great old photos of my grandparents that I thought would be good to memorialize on my blog. This was only the 2nd year that we didn't do the big Christmas Gathering at their house, so I had some moments of sadness this year as I realized how old they are getting and what a short time they still have with us. Grandpa turned 80 in September, and Grandma turned 81 in December. The above photo is Thanksgiving 2005.
(P.S. There is that pesky old TV in the background from my childhood!)


This great photo is from their 50th wedding anniversary- so around June of 2002 I believe. We threw them a small party this past June at Dad's house for their 55th wedding anniversary. Grandma wasn't feeling very well, so a small party was all she could manage (below). I asked all of their friends to bring their old photos of grandma and grandpa, and I was able to get some very fun old shots from the past few decades.



You can really see this Christmas that the past 18 months of illness have been very difficult for my grandmother. She initially had a knee replacement surgery in the spring of 2006, which spiraled downward into a staph infection that she battled for over a year. Complications from her weight, her age, diabetes and heart conditions made the whole ordeal very complicated.




Since we're on an anniversary roll, here is their wedding picture. I used it to make the invitation for their 55th Anniversary party. It's an extra special photo to me because that was my great-grandfather's house in Brenham, and I have many fond memories of playing on that porch at every family function and hoilday.



Continuing the wedding theme, here they are with my Dad & Brenda at their wedding on May 24th, 1986.



The photo above was actually taken the same day- after the wedding, everybody went back to my grandparents house for the reception. The two of them cooking in the kitchen is probably one of my strongest memories.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: I now realize how lucky and blessed I was to have such wonderful grandparents, whom I spent so much time with when I was a young child.

3 comments:

Christy said...

It's so great that you have memories and pictures of your grandparents. So many people don't get the chance to even meet their grandparents. Great pics.

Rhonda said...

What great pictures and memories! Unfortunately I only have one living grandparent left...and not a day goes by that I don't miss the others.

Courtney said...

Wow, they are so cute together! Hang on to those photos, they're precious memories!