My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

OPERA IN THE HEIGHTS

, ph

First, you might ask- "What is the Heights?" and then ask "Why is there an Opera in the Heights?" The Heights is an eclectic, older, very diverse section of Houston. You can read all about the History of the heights, the efforts to preserve the unique 1920's bungalow and craftsman style housing and all the funkiness that is the Heights here or here. I'm partial to the Heights because that's where my parents grew up, near my grandparent's house where I spent many childhood days, a area we drove through to go to my old church and where I bought my first house. I'll have to do a more in-depth post about the Heights in the future....




Opera in the Heights is a fantastic group that puts on, you guessed it, Opera's at the wonderful Lambert Hall in the Heights. The fabulous thing about these shows is that they are so affordable, a bit closer than traveling to downtown and every seat in the Hall is incredibly close to the stage.




Walking around the stage and backstage area, I couldn't believe how small of an area these talented actors and singers had to put forth an entire production. When I lived at the duplex, I had season tickets- where were very reasonably priced. I went to a few shows with various girlfriends and gave a few pair away to the shows I couldn't attend.





It was neat to see the mix of old character of Lambert Hall with some of the high-tech equipment necessary to put on a modern production. Since I'm more into music, I loved having the live mini-orchestra there and being so close to the musicians and watching them play their instruments.




Many thanks to the Houston Flickr Photography group, who arranged this mini-photo tour of Lambert Hall and Opera in the Heights!

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: I'm excited to see the community arts programs flourishing.

1 comment:

laanba said...

OOooohhhhh..... I've been to this blog before! It's nice to make the connection now. It was equally nice to meet you the other day and you got some great shots from the Hall.