My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 21, 2007

NEED HELP WITH #58




I can foresee that #58 on our list of 101 is going to be tough. I've thought about it, pondered it, researched it, and yet I"m not closer to getting it done. So, "what is this great challenge?" you might ask. Well....(please don't laugh)....


#58- Cook a new vegetable 5 different ways.



I know that I should eat more fresh fruits & veggies, because they are good for you and healthy. I thought it would be good to force myself to enjoy a new veggies and experiment with cooking. I really wished I LOVED vegetables, but I don't. I have to force myself to eat them.





I'm not much of a connoisseur in the kitchen, and I'm flat out awful with veggies. I can name in less than 5 seconds the veggies that I regularly eat: corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, lettuce (but only as a salad, not on burgers or sandwiches), green beans, carrots, peas (in some butter sauce), beets and asparagus (but I like the caned ones better than fresh). Yes, I know it's sad and pathetic. After consulting Wiki, I realize I like the following vegetables too: avocado, garlic, some bell peppers and squash.



So, here's where I need YOUR help. Tell me what vegetable that I really need to learn to like. Which one I can cook in several ways and enjoy. Feel free to share you favorite cooking methods. Hopefully I'll be back in a few months with a slightly expanded veggie list.
GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: A few hours of work today and I'm off until Wednesday! WOOHOO!

3 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

Zucchini. You can have them sliced and fried in butter. There's Zucchini bread. You can steam it. Bake it with meat stuffed in the center (especially useful for your own grown over-sized ones). Slice and grill it. Grate it and add it to a casserole.

Mushrooms. Add it to a salad. Eat them plain. Cook them in a little butter and add them to a million things, quesadillas, fajitas, baked potato topping, etc. Pop out the stem and have stuffed mushrooms - with sausage or spinach and cheeses. Mushroom soup. There's mushrooms in egg rolls.

Celery. Could be eaten plain. In tuna salad. With cream cheese or peanut butter in the "groove". Use it in stuffing. Add to a soup.

Christy said...

Oooh I love me some vegetables!!! :D

Okra (made with serrano peppers, onion and tomato).. YUM!

Artichoke (grilled)

Spaghetti squash--you make it just like spaghetti (research it!) :P

Broccoli--steamed with carrots with a bit of salt. (fresh not frozen)

Cherry Tomatoes--grilled in oven, with mozzarella (not string cheese) and a piece of basil.

Cabbage--sauteed with a small slice of bacon.

Asparagus (fresh)--sauteed with garlic & olive oil or put the asparagus in foil with some garlic and butter and throw it on the grill.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

Anything with garlic is going to taste good & garlic is good for you--even though it makes your breath smell. :\

Liza on Maui said...

Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich - oh, the first time I at it (made in a restaurant with real Italian chef), i feel in love with it :)

Green beans casserole. baked in mushroon soup, with lots of french onions on top. Try one of those Thanksgiving recipe - my son who is a picky eater and won't eat vegetables liked this. (opsss, I just re-read you post ans found out you do eat green beans ;)