My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

BOOK REVIEWS

My favorite librarian often shares with her blog readers what she's reading to her kids and she recently asked for audience participation in what we were currently reading. I've actually been on quite a reading spree lately (mostly on airplanes to Detroit and Los Angeles and Arkansas), and I received a few books for Christmas I am looking forward to reading.





I obliviously just finished this short devotional book and doing the 40 days of meditations. I thought it was, great, simple and focused. Anybody, no matter how busy you are, could do the 1 page daily devotionals. Great gift idea if you know somebody interested in learning more about Jesus.





The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
This books was on my Amazon wishlist, but I saw it in the airport and grabbed it to read on the plane. EXCELLENT book! I couldn't put it down. In many ways the story of the struggle of the young boys transcends time, culture and geography and could have been set anywhere. However, using Afghanistan as the background for this wonderful novel lets the reader have an inside view of the culture and the country that we only know about from news reports. I can't wait to see the movie and look forward to reading the other book, A Thousand Splendid Suns, when it's out on paperback.





When the Nile Runs Red by DiAnn Mills


This book was for sale at church after our special missions Sunday sermon a few weeks ago. Our church has recently purchased land on the Nile River to build an orphanage for children with AIDS. The author of the book was signing them & all of the proceeds were going straight to Africa. We had also recently watched Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda and God Grew Tired of Us. I've learned so much about the civil wars and genocides in Africa that I'm honestly shocked and appalled that these situations continue. This was an interesting fiction novel set in modern day southern Sudan, where there is fighting between the Arab Muslim government from the north and the African tribal, mostly Christian, groups in the south. I really learned quite a bit about the situation and the background on the fighting, and I'd recommend this book to anybody who wants to know more about this on-going tragedy, but finds it hard to read newspapers or academic books on the subject.




Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Another airport buy! Since this book has been on the best-seller list for months and I *LOVE* travel, I thought I would give it a read. It was pretty enjoyable, although I liked the Italy and Bali parts the best. It was a great introduction to meditation and how you can still use it within other faiths.




Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
This was a Christmas gift from my Amazon wishlist that I can't wait to read. After reading the Kite Runner and other books about political happenings in Muslim parts of the world. I'll hopefully start on it very soon and update you when I'm done.

I saw this book recommended and thought, that after doing my 40 day devotional, it would be useful to learn more about how to read the Bible. It has great reviews on Amazon and I think, as a Christian, it's vitally important to understand the way the Bible works together was a whole, how it was written and why the authors wrote what they did.
I did a TON of financial reading in college and my first few years out of school, but then turned more towards reading books about my faith and then of course, marriage and relationships. I thought it was a good time to re-focus on our finances and learn how we can reach our goals (after we figure out what those long term goals are!). We're doing great and will hopefully be on target to reach all our short-term goals.


Frommer's Brazil & Argentina

Can I just say what a great Christmas present!?!? We've already spent at least an hour scouring the pages, sticky-nothing things we need to copy to take with us and resigning ourselves to the fact that we will definitely have to go back to Argentina again to cover the rest of the amazing country. I'm getting so excited about our big trip- just 6 weeks left!





As you can tell by our Colorado Trip- I love the great outdoors! Most of our travel dreaming places include amazing scenery, so I had to include a book on my Amazon wishlist. I've only flipped through this book so far, but the pictures are unbelievable. I need to add several more places to my "must go soon" list! I can't wait to read all the tips and tricks for taking spectacular photos of God's masterpiece.




After reading/watching/hearing so much about all the struggles that are going on throughout the world, I think it's vitally important to understand who the American government and the American people have contributed, in both good and bad ways, to the atrocities that are going on in South America and Africa. It looks long and very detailed, but when we are talking about millions of people dying, I don't think you can ever read enough about it.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: So much learning going on- I love it!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I dont know if I ever told you ... but my brother lives in Buenos Aires. So, if you need any advice on anything let me know and I can get you in contact with him!!

a real librarian said...

Aww, you are too sweet!! Thanks for the blog love!! =)

I am always up for good book, recs - Infidel looks really interesting! And I could definitely use some financial advice!

Courtney said...

Wow, some great reads ahead. Lots of those books are on my to read list too, so I'll be looking for some reviews!