My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

THE Old Place, PART 2



I couldn't resist sharing a few more shots since I was so impressed and amazed by the Old Place. We couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather last Friday as we took long walks about the tall trees, played around at the tenant house, checked out the cemetery and explored the Old Place.




I just loved the chimneys! They could have been just plain, tall, straight chimneys, but no! They had to be a little bit extra fancy with their pattern near the top. How fun are those little windows too! You must have them there so you can enjoy the beautiful trees changing color.




My dear husband was so patient and wonderful as he took in all this history. He happily listened to story upon story of the rich history of the plantation. I think all this time in the country, especially the deep South country, was a bit of a culture shock for my city-boy. He was awesome though, and that's why I love him!



Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed with the bricks on the chimney? Oh and the trees too! I loved the trees. They don't change color like that there in Houston. :(





This is actually the right side of the house, with the front porch on the left and the big back porch on the right. Although the exterior is in great shape after lots of hard work, the work on interior has just begun.




During our visit, a contractor came who was going to help them finish out the inside. Although they had done much of the plumbing and electrical work themselves, they were just getting to a point where some major re-modeling decisions had to be made before they could proceed any further with the work. Plus, since they are only in Alabama about half the time and the entire summer on the plantation is dedicated just to mowing the property and keeping it clear, they really needed some full-time help to get the project finished.




Hopefully, we will return in a few years to this front porch and spend nights rocking on it, watching the sunset.




I'm just totally blown away with all the work they have done. How much love somebody could have for a building and their own history is astounding to me. It's just an extraordinary quality that you don't often see in people anymore. I'm so excited we were able to share in such a piece of history & I can't wait to come back when they are done.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Because of all their hard work, their children and grandchildren will be able to know their history and enjoy the legacy left to them.

No comments: