My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 6, 2007

WESTIN PEACHTREE PLAZA





The one thing I insisted we do on our afternoon in Atlanta, was to visit the Westin Peachtree Plaza tower. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate- but I still wanted to go. I've stayed here at the hotel twice on business trips and I love going to the top Sundial restaurant for the view. It's the best view in Atlanta and the elevator ride to the top is one to make your heart race.







This is my poor husband, who is deathly scared of heights, trying not to totally freak out on our ride to the top of 73 stories. According to Wiki, this is the 2nd tallest all-hotel skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere (behind a taller one in Detroit). That's a lot of hotel rooms, and they are super swank too. Luxury beds, floor to ceiling windows with killer views of downtown Atlanta and fancy decor.







I love ascending up to the revolving restaurant (and revolving bar) at the top on a clear day. There are these gigantic poles every 15 degrees or so around the tower that tell you what lies out in the distance (assuming you can see). Macon is probably at least 70 miles, so I'm not sure you could actually even see it on the clearest day. It's fun to know what you are looking at though as you revolve around (once every hour in the restaurant or every half hour in the bar).







The uber-expensive restaurant wasn't open, so we annihilated a cheese and cracker tray, along with a bottle of wine as we enjoyed our view....







Well, as we enjoyed the white windows and were just as happy not to be out doing tourist things in the rain on a Sunday afternoon. Next time we're in Atlanta, I want to go visit the World of Coke Museum, CNN headquarters and Olympic Centennial Park. My mom came out to visit me when I was in school in Macon, GA one Spring break, and we did the tourist thing in Atlanta.

Opps! I just found a picture of us that I took with my other camera that I hadn't downloaded yet.






This was our ride down the elevator. The first half was totally white, puffy clouds, but when we go to about the 40th story we could start to see buildings. Normally sitting at the top of the tower, you have an incredible view of some extraordinarily beautiful sky-scrapers in downtown Atlanta. Not so much for us on Sunday.




GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Totally done with all the Atlanta and Alabama pictures now!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

I would have been totally hiding my face just like your DH was! I hate heights and I'm not even sure you could get me in that elevator....isn't there one that's on the inside?

Sarah Gemba said...

We've totally taken pics in that exact same spot - how funny! :)

Christy said...

Yep, I don't like heights either so I don't blame your DH for acting like that. :)