My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

DAY 21 WITH THE SON

I'm taking the 40 days leading up the Christmas to focus on the life of Jesus and do a mini-reflection and devotion. I'm following along with Liza on her special blog called 40 Days with the Son, based on the Max Lucado book 3:16.


Here is how to join us in reflection of the spirit of this upcoming holiday season.



WHEN GOD SIGHS: "He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, "Ephphatha!" (which means 'Be opened!')" Mark 7:34

Who knew Jesus sighed? I certainly didn't, but my knowledge is pretty limited in general. I wonder what the Bible is trying to teach us when it describes how Jesus healed the man. Why didn't he just wave his arms around and say "Be healed!"? What was the significance of touching the man's tongue and his ears? The man couldn't see or hear, so I think Jesus wanted to engage him in the way the man experienced the world- through touch. Perhaps it's symbolic of how close Jesus desires to be to us- both spiritually and physically. How He wants us to feel him moving on our sins and sense his nearby presence.

I find it interesting that Jesus goes on in the 36th verse to tell the healed man, who can now finally talk, not to tell others of the miracle. I decided to do some research on this passage. I really like using Blue Letter Bible as a reference. I can search for verses or look up different translations. Today, I found some commentary (audio sermons available too) on this passage. The general consensus is that the sigh is a sign of Jesus compassion towards man's sinful state and his sorrow for the fallen world. Interesting enough, this passage is also another example of fulfillment of prophesy from Isiah.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Woohoo! More than half-way through. I'm enjoying this, but it's a lot of work ;)

No comments: