My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 12, 2007

GIVE TO SAVE






Give blood to save a life.





Number 71 on my list of 101 things to do is to give blood. I attempted to donate blood when I was 17 or so, but had a bad experience. After a little piercing in high school, the lost wandering years of college, and my trip to Ecuador, I hadn't been able to donate in a while.


I put donating blood on my list, because I feel it is so important for so many reasons. I've donated 3 times so far this year- all without any problems. I actually use it as an excuse to skip my workouts for a few days and have a nice big ice-cream to get my blood sugar back up after I donate. I was actually rejected twice for having low iron, but I started taking some great multi-vitamins and have great iron levels now.



I'm B+ if anybody cares ;)

The actual worst part of the process for me is having to fill out the obnoxious 40 questions or so on the computer, and also give a rundown of my travel history over the past 3 years. I admit I don't like the actual putting the needle in part, but it only lasts for a second. The Gulf Coast Regional Blood Bank has a great online website that tracks all my donations, my blood pressure & cholesterol, and lets me schedule my next appointment.


  • Someone needs blood every two seconds.
  • If only one more percent of all Americans would give blood, blood shortages would disappear for the foreseeable future.
  • One pint of blood can save up to three lives.
  • About 1 in 7 people entering a hospital need blood.
  • There is no substitute for human blood.

I'm sure we all know people who have been in the hospital and have needed blood. It's an act of generosity that costs you nothing but is priceless to the receiver.


Learn more about donating blood and find a local donation center through the American Red Cross, with their GIVE LIFE.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY:


2 comments:

Sarah Gemba said...

Good for you for spreading the word! My mom works for the American Red Cross. I would give if I could but I can't (I have a rare blood disease).

a real librarian said...

Good for you!!! This is a great thing!!