My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

COOKING: Mexican Fried Rice



This isn't a cooking blog and I'll never claim it to be. It's more about my life, which tends to intersect with cooking occasionally. Last weekend my mother-in-law offered to help me learn to cook some traditional Mexican dishes. Since learning how to cook 5 dishes is on our 101 list, I thought it was a good time to get started.




I'd planned on learning to cook my first *dish*, but MIL's expectations were much lower than my own- she started me off with rice! It was great- she did all the shopping, all the chopping, all the preparing and I just showed up. I learned something new- that you could throw rice into a pan with some oil and fry it. After it browned a bit, we tossed in some chopped onions, tomatoes, and peppers.

When those were cooked, we added the broth from a chicken which MIL had boiled earlier. Chop chicken & add to rice. Cook some more & cover.

VIOLA! Yummy Mexican fried rice =)

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: No poor innocent children or family is depending on me to cook any type of nourishment.

5 comments:

a real librarian said...

Mmmm, that looks yummy!!!

Courtney said...

I should really make fried rice more often. Thanks for the idea!

Just Another Small Town Girl said...

MMMMMMm!

Christy said...

Mexican rice is always a toughy for me to make. Mine is a little more red from this seasoning we use called Caldo de Tomate con sabor de Pollo (tomato bouillon with chicken flavor) or from more tomato sauce.
Looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip. Have always wanted to try fried rice but really didn't know where to start. Unfortunately I have three daughters that have to survive my cooking attempts. We'll see how it goes.