My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

PHOTOMARATHON- Rice Village



In my recent quest for all things photography, I stumbled upon the Houston Photobloggers group. One day a very interesting post came across my Google Reader for a Photomarathon. I like marathons and I like photos- so what could be better!?!? A quick check of the American Photomarathon website gave me some interesting insight into this concept, which is more like a scavenger hunt with a camera.

I'd been looking forward to a field day with my camera for weeks. I convinced the hubster to join me and help me find my way around last Sunday afternoon. He enjoys telling me which pictures to take! This event's theme was Rice Village, a quirky and quaint (high-$$) area near downtown Houston. Its funky and fun mixed with aging buildings next to high end retail stores.


We had a great time and it was a good chance to do some more artistic shooting, working on composition and creativity. I had a few hours to shot and edit 4 photos from each of the topics that were assigned. City Life & Upside Down were easy ones, but Before & After and Caught in the Act were a bit tough. The 2 above photos were candidates for Upside Down, but I decided to submit others that I liked better.

We shot a while, had some drinks, shot a few more, cool off with drinks and then do some editing. These are just some other great photos (IMO!) that I took during the afternoon. I loved taking photos of Houston & capturing the vibe of the area. I'll post the ones for each topic for your viewing pleasure tomorrow.

There was a whole row of bars, that made great fodder for photos. I actually captured 3 of my submitted photos in a bar we stopped at for a forthy adult beverage. This photo shoot also let me push the traditional bounds of post-processing in Lightrom by really bumping up the clarity/saturation/contrast and making some awesome conversions.

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: I've got the best husband ever that supports my photography addiction.

1 comment:

laanba said...

Great shots. I'm so sorry that I had to miss this one. I'm also glad that Houston Photobloggers pointed you to something cool.

You might also want to look at the Flickr group Assignment: Houston. A new theme is posted at the beginning of each month and photographers have one month to submit three photos from that location or theme. So kind of like the marathon, but over a month instead of in 4 hours! :-)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/assignmenthouston