My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 17, 2007

BACK TO CLASS

I guess it's just that time of year. Last week, I started back to two different classes, and I think I'm going to enjoy both quite a bit!


First, I'm switching my volunteer work from sorting through donated clothes and groceries to working with the center's GED program. I did some tutoring for hire while I was in college in Austin. That however, was basically babysitting rich kids who wanted to score well on the SAT tests. This couldn't be anymore different.


There were about 8 returning students and 24 who registered for the 2 days/week class. Many were 16-18 year old kids who had left school for a variety of reasons. We had to process extra paperwork on them and obtain a parent's permission to attend the course. Many were older adults seeking to improve their job opportunities by getting a GED. Some scored well on the placement tests and will hopefully be on their way to earning a GED soon, but some will require lots of tutoring and teaching before they are prepared to tackle the test.


The other class I started last week was Wednesday nights at my church. H & I wanted to learn more about the Bible and both decided to take a short course. H decided to join the men's group, which studies and discusses things relevant to men's issues. I decided to take a class on spiritual warfare, which I find extremely interesting. Since the first class was mostly an introduction and overview of the course, I'll share one of the few things I have learned so far.


spiritual warfare- the constant battle of wills between God and his followers and Satan and his followers


Based on that definition, we will study the Bible to learn why God allows spiritual warfare, what tactics Satan uses, how to prepare for it and defend against it, how to pray effectively against it, how to discern when it is and is not spiritual warfare. I'm really excited about the class.


I'll just share a little insight that I've already learned. I so often get frustrated with people about things- angry or upset that something happened or somebody treated me (what I perceive) unfairly. When I struggle as a Christian, I have to remind myself that I'm frequently misdirecting my emotions and need to remember the source of conflict.

I'm almost done going through our camping photos and I'll have a full report soon!

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

I think what you are doing is amazing...I got my GED at 21. Good luck with both of your classes.

Just Another Small Town Girl said...

Ditto Rhonda-such a great thing to do! And the Bible class does sound really interesting!

a real librarian said...

Very cool, A! What a great thing to do!!