My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

CELL PHONE RETIREMENT


Now the retirement of a cell phone normally would provide a blog-worthy story, but this phone is different. My best guess is that I've had it probably 2 years or so. Before that, I had gone though several cell phones in such a quick fashion that I was kicked out of the insurance program for being over their yearly quota. I'm hard on phones.


I'd had this cell phone just a few weeks when I discovered that when I'd thrown it into my briefcase one morning, along with my water bottle, the lid on the bottle wasn't secured. My briefcase turned into an instant swimming pool for my phone, and I thought I'd gone through another cell phone.

It would still power up, but the buttons and back lights on the screens were not working properly. I called the insurance company and they sent me a new one. This phone wasn't a quitter though. Despite my attempt on it's life, it struggled against the odds and dried out. It slowly returned to working order while I was waiting on my new cell phone. The screen dried out and most everything started to function normally. Over a year and a half later, the backlight on the outside magically started working again.




My replacement phone had arrived, but I decided to just keep using this one for a while. I'd probably break it again in some form or fashion soon enough. It wouldn't take long for me to inflict some other mortal wound on this hapless little phone.



Weeks and months flew by. I repeatedly (in my clumsiness) threw it to the ground, knocked it off the table or smashed it in my briefcase. To my surprise, the little phone has survived my torture. Sure the outside casing is cracked and I can now see the guts, but it's miraculously endured my abuse. The casing is about to fall apart, and I could even store some extra coins inside.
I keep worrying that one day it really won't work and I'll instantly go into some type of panic attack. So I need a new phone. Anybody love theirs? I'm with AT&T (formerly Cingular- formerly AT&T), so I *might* consider getting an iPhone, Crackberry, Blackjack or Razr.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: My backup/replacement phone is still sitting in my office after 18 months in case I break my new one.

4 comments:

Maria said...

I have to say that the no cut/paste on the iPhone is ridiculously annoying. I love my Crackberry and really think that it makes life so much easier. Go for it, and at least you're not stuck w/ Verizon's heinous Crackberry choices (I am).
Happy phone shopping!

Mamacita Chilena said...

that is one impressively beat up phone!

Me... said...

I highly recommend the new (or not so new) blackberry curve. DH has one and I love it!
Now he's had about every blackberry there is, and I've hated every one, until the Curve.
I'm waiting for my "you're now entitled to a new phone, and we won't charge you an extra $275 if you buy one" time. And I'm getting one.
I now have a Windows Mobile Device and I HATE it. I swear it can think and it does things just to piss me off.

Good luck in your search!

Christy said...

Wow--that's a super phone! hehe :P

I LOVE my sidekick2--I originally had a pink Juicy Couture one, but it broke so I took FI's over, I just love it--it has a true keyboard unlike the crackberries and other phones. Tmobile has one of the fastest networks...so internet is faster. I love the iPhone, but I hear AT&T has slow internet service.