My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 28, 2007

SMALL TOWN RODEO

Not the best photos ever, but the best I could do in the very low-light and the fast-action. I grew up going to the Rodeo, and EVERY fair has a rodeo- no matter how big or small.

Frankly, the old I get, the less I enjoy the rodeo. I *get* that it's a SPORT and I *get* that it represents a profession of a mostly by-gone era in American history. I guess I just watched 8 Seconds too many times and I've heard too many sad country songs about the rough life of a rodeo cowboy. I question why anybody in their right mind would choose to do it.

For those of you unfamiliar with a standard rodeo, it usually opens with some big show by girls on horses with the flags. Following the national anthem and a prayer, the actual cowboy events kick off. The timed events include calf-wresting (cowboy on horse chases calf and jumps off to wrestle & tie it up), individual calf roping, team roping (2 cowboys on horses where 1 ropes the head and one ropes the heals) and barrel racing (the only women's event). Scored events include bareback bronc riding and bull riding (always the *BIG* final event).

Of course, the BEST part is the children's event called a calf-scramble. It involves up to several dozen young calves being turned loose in the arena with about half the number of FFA students attempting to chase them down and bring them back to a center square. The kids usually win a scholarship for their fruitful efforts, and the crowd is treated to riotously funny event.

After seeing dozens of rodeos in my time, I quickly grew board with this one. The bright carnival, with all it's enchanting lights was calling my name and begging me to take me camera out to play.....
GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: I wouldn't last one day as a real-cowboy (or girl)!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I've never been to a small town rodeo--only the HLSR. D always talks about the one he used to go to in Lufkin, TX. :)