My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, November 3, 2007

REVIEW: American Gangsta




SPOILER AHEAD- You've been warned ;)

H LOVES to go to the movies & I HATE it. We haven't gone in a long time. We've tried a few times, but after waiting in line forever, we gave up. My compromise was the 101 list, where we would watch "worthy" movies at home. On Friday, he guilted me into going to the movies, where I expected to wait in line forever, be crammed into the movie theatre on opening night & hear lots of obnoxious patrons.


Surprisingly, I enjoyed the whole experience. We went to Studio Movie Grill, where you sit down and they serve you dinner before & during the movie. So no standing in lines & great service. No annoying people at this movie, just the people who brought their young child to the rated R movie. Now- on to the show!




I actually really, really liked the movie American Gangster. For starters, it's based on the true story of Frank Lucas & it's a great movie about life in New York during the height of the heroin wars & the end of the Vietnam War. I learned a little bit about the dark era of total police cooperation with the mafia & gangs of New York City, who elevated the levels of heroin use to devastating levels among the boroughs & projects.




According to the wiki article, it was filmed mostly on location in NY and retells the rise and fall of heroin kingpin Frank Lucas in the 1970's. Said to be grossing over $1 million a DAY (in 1970's money!!!), the story of his (somewhat twisted) since of morals, his ingenuity & business savvy, and his touching love for his family & wife make the plot of this story engaging.




Denzel Washington & Russell Crowe did a fabulous job acting as the infamous drug-lord and the only cop in New Jersey who wasn't working for the drug lords. I'm amazed that Lucas was able to use the military to smuggle heroin directly from the growers in Vietnam & have it delivered pure to him. Interesting reading his bio & about his life after he turned on all the crooked cops.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Thankfully there were at least a few honest cops that brought this dangerous drug lord down.

2 comments:

a real librarian said...

I really want to see this movie!!!

Christy said...

We're planning to go tomorrow on (free popcorn Tuesday).

I've never been to that place where you eat & watch a movie. I don't know if I'd be able to focus on the movie and my food. :P

And I don't understand why people take little kids to those type of movies.