My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

DAY 6 WITH THE SON

I'm taking the 40 days leading up the Christmas to focus on the life of Jesus and do a mini-reflection. I'm following along with Liza on her special blog called 40 Days with the Son, based on the Max Lucado book 3:16.








Here is how to join us in reflection of the spirit of this upcoming holiday season.






I'm on the road yesterday and today, and I really wish I had a Bible with me to look up the rest of the context of this passage. But for today's meditation, we have just a few words about Jesus' life before he began his ministry.



Titled Chicken, Hammer & Jesus: "He's just a carpenter." - Mark 6:3 (MSG)





Mark chapter 6 goes onto say that those surrounding Jesus were offended by him being just an ordinary carpenter, son of Joseph and Mary. This story falls just before Jesus calls his disciples and gives us a glimpse of what people thought about Jesus, and their underlying frustration that he was so ordinary- so like them.



He's just the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon. And his sisters live right here among us." They were deeply offended and refused to believe in him.





This particular passage and study in the book calls me to see Jesus in the regular, down-trodden, stressed out, sick, angry, tired, poor, weary people around me. He didn't come in a space-craft with a red carpet roll out upon his arrival, followed by the paparazzi. Instead, He came to earth to experience the dirty, grimy, dusty, difficult, weary life that the rest of us know. He experienced all of our joys and sorrows. He knows what it's like to be alone among enemies and abandoned (and even betrayed) by friends. He knows hungers (in the desert) and pain (on the cross).



I think the Bible goes to great lengths to tell us of the ordinary human trails that Jesus went through because He wants to connect with us. He wants us to know that wherever we are, in the deepest depths of trouble and despair, He's been there too. My pastor this week also spoke about who are "neighbors" are and who we are to show kindness. I think it complements this story that Jesus represents everybody, and whoever you show kindness to you have also showed kindness to Jesus.


Matthew 25:40- 'Whatever you did for one of my brothers or sisters, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did for me.'





GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY:

No comments: