My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Yellow Fever Vaccine


So in preparation for our trip, I had checked to see if there were any recomended or requried vaccines. For American traveling to Brazil, none are generally required. If you come through other countries that are prone to outbreaks, the Brazilian government requires you to have a vaccine. However, about 4 weeks ago, I started seeing news reports of a yellow fever outbreak in Brazil. I studied the news, visited online chat boards and checked with the embassy.


You can see the outbreak area is only in Iguazu Falls, and I read mixed recomendations to get the vacccine if you are traveling there. For citizens of Australia and the UK, their government requries the vaccine for any travel to Brazil. H and I went back and forth about getting the vaccine and decided to be vaccineated to be on the safe side.




We decided that since we are likely to travel to Africa next year, where the vaccine would be required, to just go ahead with the shot and be protected. I haven't seen much more news out of Brazil about the outbreak easing up or if it's increasing. I know there was a rush on the vaccine down there in their cities & it even made getting the vaccine here in the US difficult.



H and I went down to the Methodist Hospital Wellness Center for Travelers in the Medical center last Thursday. It was the best appointment we've ever had. We showed up at 2:00 pm for our 2:15 appointment, and were walking out of there at 2:12! The nurse who gave us the vaccine was friendly and very helpful, and the shots for both of us were $224.
So far, none of the nasty side-effects we were warned about. Neither of us felt terrible, but we've had a few headaches lately. I attribute mine to studying too much, but it might be the vaccine.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: No turning yellow for us!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Speaking of traveling soon...I would love to meet up in Houston if you are there. I haven't bought my tickets yet but I will basically only have Thursday, February 21st depending on when I fly in and after classes Friday-Sunday which probably get out around five o'clock-ish. I'll be staying near the University of Houston campus where our classes are. I won't have a car though. Let me know! :)

Christy said...

Glad you chose to be on the safe side. FI & I got our tetanus shot yesterday and we're still sore. :)

Liza on Maui said...

Better safe than sorry :) You're wise in choosing to take the vaccine.