My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Art on the Roads I Roam


I'm totally entranced by Google Earth, and as a dorky little engineer in love with numbers, formulas and patterns, found these road really beautiful in their own trigonometric way. That dozy of a road is the Beltway-8 and I-10 interchange, which they have officially been working on since I was born. A close up view here, but they are attempting to widen it to like 64 lanes or something.




I love all the symmetry and the pretty radii of the sweeping fly-overs between Beltway-8 and my regular freeway, 290. That's actually my high school at the top of the photo, just right of center.




The other darling mess of Houston traffic is the 6-10 and I-10 interchange, which has been under construction for exactly 432 years. I avoid this part of town at all costs. It's usually faster just to walk than try to drive through here. But I'm still mesmerized with all the beautiful arcs and the smooth (well one day hopefully smooth) transition of all the converging and diverging roads.

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: I know this is a total dorky post, but I think it will be neat when all the highways (and hopefully traffic jams) are gone in 50 years and we all fly around in cars!

No comments: