My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Remembering MLK



It's only as I've gotten older, and hopefully wiser, that I can begin to appreciate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. On the remembrance of his birthday today, I am reminded of a world I never knew. I grew up long after the civil rights era, where so many African-Americans were denied what can only be called basic human rights. Although I've spent the last few years learning about the lasting effects of racism in our country, I don't think I can every truly comprehend the magnitude of their struggle.


I think it's really interesting that, because of my support for Barack Obama, I am incredibly sensitive to how often race and gender have been brought up in the campaign so far. No matter how much we'd like to think that this country is ready for the first minority president or that we've moved beyond the ugly racism that colors our past, the truth is not so idealistic. I hope these next few months of campaigning find our country moving beyond the color or gender of the candidate to examine their qualities of leadership and their vision to take this country in a new direction.



Many people compare Obama to MLK, and I think that is a fairly valid comparison. Yes, on a very superficial level, they are bright, intelligent black men who are out to make a difference and inspire others. Obama delivers many of his campaign speeches in a style reminiscent of the great preacher. However, the most significant similarity between these two men is their ability to inspire people to change our world for the better. I am so thankful that MLK had the courage and faith to stand up for basic human rights in our country, and to force American to acknowledge that the color of a person's skin says nothing about their inherent value.




I want to share some great words of wisdom that Dr. King shared with our country.

*The time is always right to do what is right.

*An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.

*Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.

*Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

*Refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of nuclear annihilation... I believe that even amid today's mortar bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow... I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: The world is a better place for everybody because of the courage and passion of Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: