My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Truth About Mums


What the hell is that you might ask- especially if you are not from the South. I must admit I had no idea that homecoming mums were a regional thing, and looking back onto my embarrassing high school era, it's only makes the humiliation worse. Yes, that's me my senior year of high school- sporting a $100+ piece of junk like it was a 5 carat wedding ring (or maybe like a gaudy crown, like the fabulous chandelier) .


See- you wear it to school that Friday. You must put your name on it and your boyfriend's name on it. It's in you school colors, but ONLY the seniors get to wear all white and gold. It's also OK if you don't iron your shirt that day too since all the jingling and bells on your mum will override any sloppy dress habits.

If you are part of the super-cool group of "Senior Ladies", then you wear said mum with over-priced t-shirt, also with your name, to associate yourself with all the other cool senior girls. Obviously, I wasn't cool enough to be part of their group- thankfully my swell mum got me into the cool club.



Then, if you play volleyball, all the senior must remove the 10 lbs beast from your clothes and hang all the mums up on your athletics lockers and take picture. Further proof that all the senior women on the volleyball team were super-cool. The super-cool ones had 2 teddy bears on the mum and not 1 measly bear.




Then you wore your mum to the football game that night. See- I was friends with poor girls that didn't get a super-cool mum. Well, maybe she was carrying me since the ridiculous weight of the mum was about to pull me over. Either way, best friends rock.



I busted out the Senior Yearbook (so be ready for more photos from my terrifying high school years to come!). See- everybody at the football game had o their mums & school spirit.



They even let the band members have a mum and be cool for the night.

I actually have no recollection of homecoming dance night. I obviously had the mum on for the 1st photo, but I don't think you actually wore it to the dance. So for all of your out-of-towners considering re-locating to the fabulous South, now you know the Truth About Mums and the wretched traditions you will have to endure with your children, should you move here.

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Had a great date night at the symphony yesterday!

4 comments:

Just Another Small Town Girl said...

That's so funny! We did mums in HS but just for the moms/grandmas-the students never wore them and they were just the flower itself (hardly any adornments). Gotta love the south =)

~Danialle said...

omg thats histerical! this is the first ive seen of these things, i grew up in so cal and there was no such thing. gotta love the south!

April Ziegler said...

I must say, I have never ever heard of mums & now I feel quite deprived! ;-)

Christy said...

Yep, gotta love those mums! I had 2, one from my parents and one from Dan! I'm so going to bust out my pics now. :)