My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 2, 2008

Garden Week 8

In week 8 we hit some milestones. These pictures were taken on Tuesday after we returned from Florida. All the plants near the front edge of the box are doing much better. I can't decide if it's because they are getting more water or less water.
This is actually the 2nd bloom on the squash plants.
All the tomato plants had been looking pretty pathetic since they'd gone the ground a few weeks ago, but this one (of the 15) is starting to show signs of growing.



BUT....what are all these round things on my cilantro? They sort of looked like bug eggs to me, so I quickly moved the planter with the cilantro and basil outside. It grosses me out to even think about them hatching inside the house. EWW!



These buds are on the cucumbers. Are they flowers or fruit? Can't wait to see!

Now the bad part- we had our first casualties this week. Not just one, but 3 plants died. Two were tomato plants, including the super dead one above. I couldn't even find the remains of the other one- it just disappeared! And this is a cucumber plant that didn't make it either. I'm not sure if it was over-shadowed by the bigger ones around it or what.


According to my handi-dandy labels, this row is watermelon. Look how much bigger the front plant is compared to the rear plant.


Wow- I need to work on my focus skills! This watermelon plant doesn't even look like it's grown at all since I put it into the ground.


But this other guy is a monster- growing into the other rows and out of the box!

Oh- and some bugs are back and eating ferociously on the tomato plants. It's killed one completely and it's eating all the leaves off of a few more. :(

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Off to Laredo, Texas this afternoon!

1 comment:

The Oceanside Animals said...

I don't know what kind of pests you have in Texas, but out here on the California coast, the tomato hornworm is my wife's nemesis when it comes to insect pests. (The thrip used to be her nemesis by taking out all her rose blooms, but she's now admitted defeat and given up the roses.)