My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Garden Week 11



It's going to be a big week, so I thought I'd do a mid-week update of weekend stuff. Um- that's a NASTY worm on my basil. No wonder it isn't doing any better, even inside the house. We found some smaller ones and now I'm paranoid. I think we might just have to throw away the whole planter box. :(




Here are the cages I put in on Saturday to allow all the plants to trellis. Since I'm a clueless first time gardener, I planted everything too close and had to put in the cages where ever they would fit. The tomato plants (right 3 rows) don't need them just yet, but the cucumber and watermelon were out of control.


I spent a while wrapping all the little vines around the cages, then H bought me some actual twist-ties that worked much better.


We saw lots of new cucumbers that will be ready later this week.




And quite a few bright flowers- that have been attracting many bees lately.




Saturday afternoon, H built a little shade for the plants. It's been brutally hot here lately, and hopefully this will stem the tide of dying plants and keep them a bit cooler.



Um- and there's something really YUCK in our tree in the front yard. H cleaned it all out with a water hose, and hopefully they won't return and the tree will be fine.




I think we might have our first watermelons!




And look how big this cucumber is!


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: We're having so much fun with our garden. Can't wait for the rest of the fruit to start coming in.

1 comment:

April Ziegler said...

Wow, your garden looks great. It puts my herb garden to shame. I saw your earlier post about the basil struggling. We're on our 4th plants... they keep dying! I'm determined to have fresh basil though. I can't believe you have watermelons and everything.