My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Starting Our Garden



Number 10 on our 101 List is the start a garden. Although we have a small yard, we are going to attempt to create a 30 square foot box/bed to plant some fruits, veggies and herbs. Although totally clueless about everything green and gardeny, we opted for the Burpee Starter Kit. With a name like Burpee- it must be fun!




Then the fun part- picking out oodles of seeds. Our friendly home depot salesman told us we had enough seeds to plant an acre! I'm over-compensating for all the plants I'm predicting that I will kill.




The kit comes with this container and 72 soil cubes that just need water to grow. I set up our mini-greenhouse in our bathroom because it gets a ton of sunlight every day. Plus we never use the whirlpool tub anyway ;)




It was pretty fun to watch the cubes morph into dirt and play like a little kid in the dirt while I stuck a few seeds in each whole.




You are looking at 3 rows of tomatoes (each a different variety) and rows of onions, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, squash, pumpkin, cilantro and basil. We might need to build a bigger box!




I planted everything Saturday afternoon, and I'm checking it everyday to see when the first sprouts start to show up. I realize we started a bit late for the early-Spring in Texas, but oh well!


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: T-48 hours until the big test! GAAACK!!!

3 comments:

Christy said...

Yay for you! That is a pretty cool kit. I might have to get D this. Right now we grow herbs (thyme, sage, basil, rosemary) and jalapenos & serrano peppers and we should be getting some tomatoes soon. We'd like to grow more things, but we need to get the yard in order first.
GL on your test!

Christy said...

Oh and we recently planted a lemon and lime tree, I hope they grows!

Liza on Maui said...

Ohhh i love gardening. Looking forward to your harvests :)