My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Captivated by Abandonment




I was incredibly fascinated by all the abandoned and deteriorating buildings in Detroit, but this one was some how even more curious to me. You could see it from almost anywhere in the city, including our hotel room.



As H and I were driving around, I made him stop for pictures when we happened to be in the area. I was fascinated by all the textures and shapes and history of this particular building.


Although it's only been empty for about 20 years, the building has been ravaged by looters and graffiti artists.


I also found a whole website dedicated to preserving images and the history of abandoned buildings. Forgotten Detroit gave me some very interesting history on the old Michigan Central Depot (train station)



The old train depot was quite spectacular when it was opened 1913, and I loved looking at the old, original photos that captured it's beauty of the era.



With the great depression and the astounding explosion of automobile traffic, there just wasn't as much need for a train station. Although the upper floors had been built as a possible hotel, it was never a reality.

Along a similar vein, there is a very neat blog called Opacity that photo-documents old, abandoned buildings. The artists does quite a bit on the old psychiatric wards and mental institutions, both in the US and Europe. Quite fascinating and creepy....



Anyways, I had fun playing around with some Lightroom post-processing on these.


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: We will be hanging out with Stephanie in Sarasota, FL in just 30 days!

1 comment:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Very cool pictures of the old abandoned buildings! I'm fascinated by such places, as well as by very old graveyards. They give you a sense of permanence and mortality at the same time.