My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Iguazu from the Air



A helicopter ride is the best way to start a trip to Iguazu Falls (or Iguassu Falls, or Iguaçu Falls) ! We left Buenos Aires early Monday morning and flew to the airport in Argentina. After a while changing buses at the border and going through customs, we went to tour the Brazilian side of the falls. Our guide offered us an optional 8 minute helicopter ride for $80USD and we jumped on it.




I don't think you can fully appreciate how BIG the 275 waterfalls are until you fly over them and see them all together.




The river appears to serene above and below the falls. It's incredibly deceiving that millions of gallons of water flow over the falls every minute.




They flew 2 helicopters, so there was a group going up every few minutes. We rode with another couple, but I got to sit up front next to the pilot!




This shot is flying over Brazil, but looking across the river to the Argentine side. You can see the catwalks extending out to the edge of the falls.




This photo gives some perspective to why all the actual falls themselves are on Argentina's side of the border, but the Brazilian side offers great panoramic views along the entire length of the canyon.




To give you an idea of the sheer size of the falls, the above photo is an enlargement of the one above it. These are the viewing platforms that visitors can see the Devil's Throat fall. See how tiny those people are!




There are literally hundreds of smaller, but still huge waterfalls, to enjoy.




In the lower left hand corner, is a hotel with a killer view and the rapids that you can go down are on the lower center portion of the photo.



I'm so excited when I get special treatment!




Note to other photographers- don't stick you big super zoom lens out the window when the helicopter is moving. The cross-winds are strong!


GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Finally back to church this weekend.

3 comments:

April Ziegler said...

Beautiful photos! I want to go to the falls so badly. The trip looks incredible.

Christy said...

Beautiful pics!

Ashley said...

I am really enjoying your trip review! We can't wait to do south america! :) Your camera story reminds me of a little time that I was flying myself and decided I needed to get rid of my gum. Of course, I didn't want it to stick to the wing, or I could have issues, so I decided to thrust my arm out of the tiny window as fast as I could and chuck it. BAD idea. That left a mark on my arm that lasted for weeks. ;)