My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 10, 2008

LAX Flight

A few weeks ago, on my way to Los Angeles, we took a flight path that was right over my house. It's not often that this happens or that the weather cooperates enough for me to see the ground after we take off. Above, you can see the lake & park where we run, the new hotel with the office building and BBQ restaurant on either side and most of my neighborhood.
A bit further off in the distance, I could see my office. It's in the middle with the red tile roof. Now, the amazing thing to me is that when I first started working there, we were surrounded by grass & trees. The car dealership in front of us & beside us were built in the last few years, and the DPS office, off to the left, is also a recent addition. It was nice & peaceful, you could see animals (occasionally) and birds.
We continued flying out 290, over some newer neighborhoods. It wasn't until I was an adult and traveled to places in the Northeast or in Los Angeles that I fully appreciated that not all neighborhoods are sprawling track-homes. This looks like a bit of a nicer neighborhood, with a golf course & plenty of green space worked in around the homes.
The latest trend, which is all the rage, is to put the artificial lakes in around all the homes. Very popular here, but I'm pretty fond of my fenced in yard, which I've recently learned is also an oddity around the country.

I'm such a dork, but I think it's so neat when we fly over places that I can recognize. This day we headed out over Austin, with the airport on the South side of the city.
I even got a nice little shot of Town Lake and downtown Austin. Oh how I miss the good old college days!
I'm guessing this is the Colorado River, that's not so much a river anymore as a puddle. I didn't realize it, but I guess the hill country has had some pretty severe drought conditions this year.
It was interesting to see this area, which must have been dammed on one end or near the middle to collect the river water.
And of course, you can't travel over the Southwest without passing a few drilling areas.

Then we flew over Phoenix (I think!).
This little mini-mountain range divides the city.
One of the added benefits of the LAX flight is that you fly over the same path every time, so I'm pretty well acquainted with all the major flight markers. I love flying so close to this big mountain & always know that we are getting close to landing in California.
GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Going to be a great week- lots of travel for both H & I.

1 comment:

The Oceanside Animals said...

I always like seeing the desert from the air and trying to picture it when it was all underwater beneath the inland sea ...