My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mykonos, Greece

This edition of Travel Tuesday is another flashback, and it's to the other Greek Island we visited- Mykonos. I'm not sure what possessed us to pick Santorini & Mykonos, but I really wish I had done more research before going to Mykonos. Bottom line, it was a gorgeous place, but just not our vibe. The last stop before Athens on our 17 day trip, I think we were both just exhausted and couldn't fully appreciate the party atmosphere of the island or it's beauty after coming from Santorini.

The big thing is Mykonos are the beaches. There is Paradise Beach & Super Paradise Beach. Both are semi-nude and fully nude in some places, and I think the party can get rather rowdy as the evening progresses. It's by far the most touristy of the islands, and we had a much more difficult time with the taxis and bus system, and the beaches were far away from our hotel.

Our hotel wasn't close enough to the main town to walk, but the waterfront area known as "Little Venice" was filled with neat restaurants and tons of shops. I'm really only remembering shopping and beach lounging as the two main activities on the island.

One afternoon we did manage to take a snorkel trip. I think this was the first time I'd been in the water with H, and he was quite amused by my lack of snorkel skills. I remember the water being pretty cold, even in July, and that there really wasn't much to see. Perhaps if we'd gone SCUBA diving, we might have gone to a better location with clearer water & more wildlife.



Also, transportation between the islands was some work. We'd planned on buying our ferry tickets from Santorini to Mykonos the day we arrived on the island, but as it was the summer busy season, all the flight were sold out the day we needed to leave. So, we ended up having to pay a little extra and fly, which itself is quite an experience on a Greek airline. It was a beautiful way to see some of the area, but still more expensive. We did manage to snag some non-smoking seats on the hydro-foil ferry between Mykonos and Athens. I watched a 6 hour show on how to make feta cheese in Greek, and watched several other passengers get seasick. We stopped at a few other ports along the way, and there are some other beautiful islands I'd love to go back and visit.

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: The US Dollar to Euro rate wasn't nearly as bad in 2005 was it is now.

1 comment:

The Oceanside Animals said...

I like how it's the Vodafone ferry. I guess it's not just SoCal buses that carry advertising on the sides!