My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clickthegoodnews.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bad Bumpies


Zoe is having more skin problems. She had 3 mast cell tumors removed in March & another skin flare up in May

Well, when we came back from Austin & picked her up, I noticed about 20 areas on her back & legs where the fur was sticking up. I've seen bumps come and go, but never that many. I decided to wait a few more days to see what they would do, but I took these photos Wednesday night when they were very prominent. Please ignore the lighting, blur and focus issues...I was just wanting to get something to show the vet.
The next morning they had gone down a bit, but I still took her Thursday afternoon to the vet. The shaved one area on her back (top photo) and looked at them under the microscope. She said it looked like the presence of bacteria, but didn't see any actual bacteria. She didn't think they were mast cells because they appeared too quickly. But the fact that they are "coming & going" makes her think it is some type of skin reaction or allergen.


She sent us home with some oral antibiotics (the same stuff she was getting after her surgery). We also got some shampoo to hopefully help with the skin and some fish oil vitamins. Since I'd seen Zoe "hop" around a few times and otherwise walk in an unusual manner, she also sent us home with some glucosamine for her bones and hips to start supplementing.
We're going to watch the bumps and hope they go away. If they don't, we have to go back in a week and do some cultures on them. I'm thinking they are some type of allergy or hive. I've never seen fleas or anything in our house or on her.

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY: Checking "Watch the Dynamo Soccer Game" off our 101 List tonight.

4 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Aww, poor Zoe. Hope the bumps clear up with the treatment regimen. After Dennis got attacked by the pit bull last week he had a small outbreak of bumps, which we think are probably stress-related hives.

Christy said...

Oh poor baby.
Yeah when Sissy had a reaction to either a spider bite/bee sting her hair went up like that. We gave her some benadryl and rushed her to the ER for a steroid shot. It's happened twice. It's so scary.
I hope everything is okay with Zoe!

Delilah and Rocket said...

What a bummer Zoe but I know your mom is taking great care of you.

I get bumps like that too but they don't stick around long. They usually happen a few hours after we go tromping through some tall grass. Mom/Dad hose me off and within 6-8 hours they are usually gone.

My humans notice everything .... it's good to be loved!

Renee said...

I have a 3 yr old Vizsla named Rusty. We just figured out today that he is getting bumps like that from stress/anxiety from when we work 12 hour days...the longer we are gone, the more bumps he will have when we get home. The bumps go away in about 1/2 hour! Rusty's bumps look exactly like that picture..they resemble hives. We have never taken him to the vet for this, we just eliminated all the possibilities of allergies on our own. I give credit to my husband for figuring it out...finally! This has been going on since about April/May